It is an autonomous public body. It is also provided with a statuary basis from the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993 (TPHRA). NHRC is a major human rights institution in the nation and is therefore responsible ...
Moplah Rebellion is the earliest Hindu Muslim conflict in India where Muslims brutally massacred the Hindus of Kerela. During partition people were murdered in large numbers on both sides. Sikhs/Hindus were killed in ...
The complaint can be lodged by the victim or any other person who is acting on behalf of the victim.
The complaint lodged should be in English or Hindi or one of the predefined set of languages in the eight schedule of the Indian Constitution ...
It is an autonomous public body. It is also provided with a statuary basis from the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993 (TPHRA). NHRC is a major human rights institution in the nation and is therefore responsible for promotion and protection of human rights. The human rights that they defend, protect and promote include: “rights relating to life, liberty, equality and dignity of the individual guaranteed by the Constitution or embodied in the International Covenants”.
TPHRA mandates the NHRC to perform the following functions:
- Whether it is proactive or reactive, they have to look into matter where human rights have been violated or neglected by a public servant and prevent it altogether.
- They are allowed to interfere in a court proceeding if it is related to human rights. It is allowed by the court itself.
- There is also permission for visiting any kind of jail or detainment centre where people are being imprisoned, detained or simply held for reformation, treatment or protect so that they can evaluate the living conditions of the inmates and thereby make required recommendations.
- Reviewing of any and all guidelines under or by the Government or the Constitution to make sure that human right protection is in place and that all the stated guidelines are implemented for the betterment of the people. They are also allowed to suggest new and effective ways of implementing the guidelines.
- Reviewing of factors like terrorism that negate the Human Rights Act and make required recommendations for remedial purposes.
- Thorough analysis of all kinds of international treaties and agreements to help suggest measures for implementation of human rights.
- Promoting and looking over various researches that comes up in the field of human research.
- Spreading the knowledge of human rights through education in all sectors of the society and use of various mass media like magazines, newspapers, radio, television, etc.
- Provide the right motivation for NGOs and other non profit organizations that have dedicated their resources and hard work for protection of human rights.
- Carry out all those activities that encourage protection and promotion of human rights.